Wrinkles Treatment with Recover
By Prof. Dov Ingman
The Recover Concepts and Approach.The main goal of the Recover design declared by the product developers was to break this "vicious circle" of wrinkle initiating-perpetuation mechanism. This positive feedback between the mechanical and biological interdependence of the skin deterioration processes is likely to be eliminated by active outside unfolding of the skin in the wrinkle area which keeps for several hours daily over a period of several months, during all the restoration of the skin revival. Actual unfolding of the wrinkle area triggers the following skin short and long term restoration mechanisms:
- Reduction of pressure on the capillary network.
- Improvement of blood, lymph and interstitial liquid flow by removing wrinkle induced mechanical obstacles.
- Restoration of normal supply of nutrients.
- Enhancement of cellular respiration (gases exchange) due to restoration of gaseous partial pressure in and out of capillary.
Additional crucial functions of the Recover products and their impact on the skin include the following pre-designed features:
- Skin dead cells removal.
- Deep cleansing.
- Improvement skin gases ("breathing") permeability.
Recover technology exploits low biochemical-active (almost neutral) nanoparticles to meet these goals. The designed material has the following unique features:
- High thixotropy
- Developed surface area
- Good affinity to skin
- Good washing-off ability
- High self-organizing ability
Applied to skin, Recover products create 2-D network matrix, with some "roots/protrusions" which slightly penetrate into the stratum corneum adhering the network to the skin. Recover aqueous liquid partially penetrates into the skin and partially evaporates.
Nanoparticles of Recover, which do not participate in the matrix, adsorb dead cells of stratum corneum on their highly developed active surface. At that stage several processes take place simultaneously:
- Penetrated into epidermis dermis interface, water causes cell swelling with corresponding local mechanical stress relaxation.
- The networked matrix shrinks and flattens the skin, especially in the wrinkles area. Dead cells are mechanically detached and absorbed.
- Impurities accumulated in the skin layers (for example accumulated makeup particles) are "sucked out".
- Products of skin secretion, which usually cover the skin, are detached from the skin surface and absorbed as well.
- The outer Recover layer absorbs these "impurities" to be washed out with it at the end of the procedure, leaving only supportive nano-matrix on the clear, vivid and shining skin.
Recover Aesthetic Effect Tests
Recover performance tests, were performed on women of various skin types and ages from 35 to 65. The test was quantitative evaluating of:
- Wrinkle Reduction Effect
- Cleansing Effect
- Complexion Enhancement
- Skin Texture Enhancement
The tests were designed to be:
- Sufficiently Sensitive to the Relevant Characteristics
Tools used for these tests were:
- High Definition Digital Photography.
- Optimal Lighting.
- Reliable and Repeatable Object Fixation.
- Advanced Image Processing for Per-Winkle and Overall Skin Enhancement Evaluation.
- Spectral Analysis.
- Statistical Analysis.
- Pattern Recognition and Advanced Decision Making Techniques.
Recover treatment was found to provide an immediate aesthetic effect:
- Overall wrinkle reduction
- Increased skin brightness –“radiant” looking skin
- Enhanced skin color evenness
This test consisted of 3 procedures:
- Application of skin staining color (ink) to the pre-chosen clean skin area.
- Soap washing the area.
- Photography of the stained area after washing.
- Recover application for 20 min.
- Water-washing out the Recover layer.
- Photography of the area.
- Comparison between the intensities of stain color before and after Recover application.
It is widely known that dead cells of the outer epidermis and stratum corneum, are the most stainable cells of the skin. Therefore, detaching and removal of these cells will be found in the stain color intensity if the outer fat and other secretion products layer is removed before staining. For stratum corneum layer, the stain intensity can be supposed with sufficient accuracy to be proportional to the amount of the stained cells and, therefore, dead cells removing, is proportional to the stain color intensity reduction.
The test demonstrated, high levels of stain, and, therefore, dead cell removal efficiency by Recover. The observed stain intensity reduction values are in the range from 87% to 94%. Skin Surface Texture Test.
The following computer processed skin surface pictures demonstrate that Recover performs surface “scavenging”-soft peeling, in addition to wrinkles flattening. Quantitative Statistical Analysis of such surfaces shows, that on average, the skin roughness after Recover application is only about 23% of the before-treatment roughness. The deeper the wrinkle - the higher the flattening effect. For example, wrinkles with the initial depth of 0.5 mm, were flattened by 50%, those with initial depth of about 0.75 mm demonstrated flattening by 66% and those with 0.35 mm depth were "ironed" only by about 29%.
Reduction in wrinkle depth, was accompanied by corresponding reduction in the wrinkle width
- There is a rapid reduction of the wrinkle depth right after the Recover HWNB in a matter of 10-15min.
- The maximal effect is achieved in about 1.5 – 2 hours after the treatment.
- The high level of the wrinkles depression is effective for about 4 hours.
- The wrinkle depths dynamics become independent of the initial wrinkle characteristics after about 2 hours after the procedure.
- There is no complete wrinkles restoration after more than 5 hours, and our estimation, supported by some measurements, even after 24 hours, which means that some wrinkle reduction effect is permanent.
- The residual wrinkle depth is the same for all the wrinkles in the area and is about 0.25-0.27mm. It probably corresponds to the equilibrium state between the nano-particles network elasticity properties and the local mimic muscles activity (mechanical stress).
Although the Recover primer effect is of a mechanical-physical nature, the resulting effect has major biological outcomes. One of the main conclusions of the performed aesthetics tests is discovering the wrinkle depth depending threshold. It was observed that for any subject, the wrinkles below this threshold ("shallow" wrinkles and mimic lines), practically disappeared right after the treatment. At the same time, wrinkles deeper then this value had a demonstrated significant flattening after the procedure, but the after-treatment wrinkles depth was limited by this threshold independently of their initial depth. Obviously, this final post-treatment depth corresponds to the mechanical equilibrium between the wrinkle reestablishing tendency and the shrinking of the nanoparticles network matrix. Forces leading to the wrinkles restoration are actually, manifestations of two biophysical factors – cellular surface tension (elastic force) and interstate gel-colloid system viscosity (plastic forces). Due to the universal character of skin cells and intercellular homeostasis, we anticipate the universal value of this threshold as well, which has been actually observed, during this set of tests. Therefore, this limit seems to be a universal residue wrinkle depth for any non-destructive treatment.These advanced optical measurements demonstrated both comprehensive and local metabolism improvement.
Found effects of skin aesthetic enhancement are:
- Gradual removal of the excess metabolites that have been accumulated at the wrinkle zones
- Decrease in the activity of the peripheral nerve cells pronounced in the reduction of mimic muscle activities - Botox-like effect.
- Improvement in under-skin blood micro-circulation. The wrinkles network "presses" on the capillary network disturbing normal blood supply and causing the blood color to look darker and less "vivid". It is due to the fact that stagnant venous blood is crimson dark-red, while, fresh oxygen saturated arterial blood is of a scarlet light red tone. Restoration of a normal subcutaneous blood microcirculation leads to a visible skin whitening effect and provides a more vivid and brighter complexion, which was detected as a rapid, (about 15 min) skin color spectrum changes. Skin smoothing by reduction of skin surface roughness, caused by accumulated dead cells, spikes etc.